Saturday, February 28, 2015

I Am Waist Training

I am having a milestone birthday soon, and like every woman out there I want to look my best for my birthday. So I decided to do something drastic to see if I could WOW myself on my birthday – get the coveted hourglass figure. Thankfully I do have SOME curves, but I was thinking that I could really accentuate them and look totally fab. [I'm doing this to please myself, and if people like it that's fine, if not...].

A friend of mine recently transformed herself, lost inches from her waist and now spots this amazing figure 8 curve; so I thought to emulate her. Guess what she did? Not much of a guess coz my title kind of let the cat out of the bag, right? Okay, it’s waist training! So, I got it in my head to give this a try, after all everyone from Jessica Alba to Kim Kardasian and [Queen] Bey do! So I made my big announcement on my Facebook page (www.facebook.com/dropitforlife) earlier this week. I’m starting from a 39” waist and my target is 37” by May, and possibly 34” or less by December 2015! I'm dreaming BIG! What have I got to lose? 

For those new to this fad (truth be told, it is a fad); waist training using a waist cincher or trainer [which I read someone refer to as Spanx on steroids] is meant to ‘train’ your waist to be(come) smaller. To achieve this you have to wear a very snug fitting waist trainer or cincher for about 5 to 10 hours each day. But it’s advised that you start with 2-4hours before you can wear your cincher for longer periods.

But what to these waist cinchers really do? And what has my experience been like using my brand new latex waist trainer? Well, they are said to:

CLAIMS: Compress your core
My Experience: Yep! I can attest to this, it’s a really snug fit)

CLAIMS: Restrict abdomen thus reducing food intake
My Experience: Yep! I can attest to this, coz with the snug fit, if you over eat, you will really feel like you are about to burst)

CLAIMS: Ramp up perspiration
My Experience: Definitely YES! I got a latex cincher and in the sweltering sun of West Africa I had perspiration rolling down my back in buckets. Plus I had to use  some powder on my trunk and back...cos I had heat rashes after the first day.

CLAIMS: Metabolize fat
My Experience: Don’t know how this is possible, but ‘they’ claim this happens)

CLAIMS: Release toxins
My Experience: This could be possible, giving that you perspire a lot especially if you have a latex cincher on. 

I also hear they are really good in helping new moms get rid of their post-pregnancy tummy. 

Then my personal experience (about a week though) leads me to believe the claims that it could help with back pain, coz its doing wonders for my posture. 

Some people also claim that you could lose weight waist training; arguing that since it’s a snug fit which restricts your food consumption on the long run you lose weight. But I’ve read other say that the weight loss is actually simply the loss of water weight (from all the perspiration) and that whatever weight seems lost is the middle is not actually lost, but redistributed. Be that as it may, but I have seen Kim, Bey and of course my friend…and they don’t look half bad. Fad or not I’m going to give it a try and will dish out once in a while on this blog my progress.

I’ll keep up with my workouts and intentional eating though, this is just a little something I want to leverage on to become (hopefully) Fantastico! [smile]. So far, I do feel rather fantastico when I wear my cincher. This is me wielding my waist trainer/cincher at work yesterday... 

What do you think?

So, what’s your verdict? Am I crazy? Do you know anyone who has or is waist training? Has it worked for them?

Don’t be shy… share DROPIT4LIFE on Facebook, Twitter & LinkedIn!
Don’t forget, you can get weekly updates sent straight to your email if you type in your email address in the space provided on the right, and click ‘submit’!
Don’t forget to check your email and activate your subscription!

1 comment:

  1. Liz are waist trainers d same with spanx? cos i thought they were different. Judging from the picture it looks different, the spanx i use are worn like a girdle. some are even used for both the thigh and tummy. Could u clarify please.

    ReplyDelete